Saturday, February 24, 2007

Four days to go!!

Hello everyone! After seven years working at Intel, I've earned a two-month sabbatical to do whatever I want. I've actually held on to my sabbatical for three extra years, to the point that I need to "use it or lose it" right now. Naturally with my love of the outdoors and the desire to do something totally different, I've chosen to go on a two-month adventure on the other side of the world! I'll be doing lots of hiking, but I have a bunch of other fun plans too for this trip.

Here's my basic itinerary:

Feb. 28: Leave Phoenix for Kauai island of Hawaii with friend Renee and Val
Mar. 4: Jump over to Oahu
Mar. 6: Head to Sydney, Australia
Mar. 11: Meet my brother Melvin in Sydney
Mar. 18: Fly to Christchurch on South Island of New Zealand
Apr. 14: Fly back to Sydney, meet up with friend Susie & head to Tasmania
Apr. 22: Meet Val in Hobart, Tasmania
Apr. 29: Fly back to Sydney and on back to Phoenix

Just figuring out my flights was a logistical nightmare, but then I had to figure out all the details -- what to do on each day, how to get there, where to stay, etc. It would have been a LOT easier to leave the trip planning to someone else or just buy a package deal or something, but in my opinion doing things this way is a LOT more fun. With four days to go I have lots of plans made but really have a lot left to do. I like to say that I'm really good at "winging it" and I'm sure going to prove that on this trip. But the best "winging it" comes after lots of reading and thinking through ideas (which I've done!) so I'll be ready for adventure. As it is, this is easily the most complex plan I've ever made.

I've set up a blog (alloverdownunder.blogspot.com) and mailing list (join by sending email to alloverdownunder-subscribe@yahoogroups.com) to keep in touch with those who are interested in following my adventures -- but especially to let Mom know that I'm safe!! Once I'm on my way, I'll probably only have email access about once every week or so. We'll see how I do in posting my updates -- I have no idea if I will be posting pictures on the way. I'll look forward to hearing people's comments.

Mahalo!
Ray

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Ray,

I am so envious! Here's a suggestion for you: put a google map on your site and title it "where I am today" and just update the map daily for where you're at. (Just look up the google API and it's easy to do).

Have a fantastic adventure!!!

Council Bluffs said...

Sweet! Another blogger in the family. Have a great trip, Ray.

Ray said...

Amber,
Thanks for the great suggestion. I've put a map on the web page now. I'll look forward to everyone's comments.
Ray

Anonymous said...

Ray, when you get to Oahu, there is a truck on the way from Kaneohe Bay to the North Shore, on the windward side, which is highway 83. It's called Giovanni's Shrimp Truck. No joke, it's a truck. Look for an A-frame sign on the side of the road or ask a local for directions. They have the best shrimp scampi and some amazing shrimp scampi sauce. It's worth the drive not to mention the scenery along this side of the island is so beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Ray ~ after you find the shrimp truck on O'ahu keep going down the road and head to Matsumoto's for a shave ice with beans and ice cream. It probably sounds horrible (I couldn't believe it at first) ~ but wait until you taste it! Here's the map. Let me know what you think!

http://www.matsumotoshaveice.com/map.htm

Anonymous said...

Ray-
Hope Hawaii was fun. Check your e-mail from me about Australia visa!
Melvin

Ray said...

Couldn't find Giovanni's Shrimp Truck or Matsumoto's Shave Ice but didn't have time to try very hard. I'll have to catch those next time!