Thursday, March 22, 2007

Tramping in New Zealand!

Hi everyone,
Thanks to Melvin for his guest blog entry and slideshow!  I'm having a great time in New Zealand so far.  I'm having fun this week at Arthur's Pass National Park on the South Island.  Today's topic: tramping.  That's what they call hiking in NZ, except it really feels like tramping (i.e. walking thru wilderness on what you could hardly call a trail).  Tramping is a big deal in NZ -- although they like to call it a "water sport" because you're either walking thru rivers or in the rain a lot!
 
Other features:
* Huts: They have a wonderful hut system -- you could go for days going from one hut to the next without ever camping out.  It's really nice.  Each hut has its own personality.  One hut I stayed in was brand new, another one had mice playing in the walls all thru the night!
* Scenery: Incredible.  Lush green woods.  Glaciers.  Waterfalls.  Makes me want to see Lord of the Rings again, just for the scenery.
* Trampers: Very friendly, from all over the world as well as NZ.  Fun to visit with at huts & on trail.  Amazingly it seems that everyone is here for longer than I am.  A couple of girls from Europe I met going the opposite direction on the trail let me borrow their car they had left at one end of the trail -- I drove around to the other end and picked them up, then we drove back into town.
 
Have a great week everyone!
Ray
 


Take a break and play crossword puzzles - FREE! Play Now!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love doing the hut-to-hut system! And NZ would be the perfect place to do it, rodents and all....:-)

Mike said...

Hi Ray, Mike here (the Brit you met in Greymouth!). Nice blog - I've just arrived in Franz Josef on my bike and am looking forward to heading down to Queenstown. I shall perhaps see you there. Enjoy the tramping!