Saturday, April 28, 2007

Beware of Tasmanic Devils!

Hi everyone!
I've had a great time here in Tasmania with my five friends here. We met up in Sydney and headed down to Launceston in Northern Tasmania. We had overcast conditions the whole time but were really lucky to not get too wet -- and actually the weather even enhanced our experience. ;) (whatever!)

Highlights of the last two weeks:
* Completing the Overland Track, considered one of the best hikes in the world. We crammed a seven-day walk into five days and had so many fun experiences, meeting people in huts, visiting rain forests, and learning card games! It's the kind of thing you really have to experience for yourself. I felt a real thrill at the top of the Acropolis, a mountain that a couple of us summited on the side.

* Visiting Wineglass Bay and other incredible beaches. This was the first time I've ever gone backpacking to a beach -- and actually there were three or four of them. I've never seen so many shells strewn across beaches. Wineglass Bay is considered one of the ten best beaches in the world (I have no idea how they rank these things!) but it was really something special in person.

* Seeing lots of wildlife on Maria Island. We saw wallabies in other places but on Maria Island there are kangaroos all over the place and they are very friendly. We also saw wombats, some very colorful birds -- and on the ferry back to Tasmania, we had a special encounter with a group of dolphins who were jumping and chasing our boat.

* Fall colors. We saw lots of beautiful colors both in the botanical park as well as above the tree line. Fall is one of my favorite times of the year, and this year I get to see it twice!

We really had a fun time traveling as a group, complete with a lot of jokes and stories that are only natural when you spend that much time together. We had fun driving around (I was the designated driver for our van due to my vast experience driving on the wrong side of the road!) I love road trips!!

We are returning home this weekend! It's been fun to travel but there's no place like home!!! I'll post pictures after I get over jetlag (that may be a long time from now!)

Love,
Ray

No comments: