Friday, April 13, 2007

Road Trip Heaven

Hi friends,
This is my last posting from New Zealand. This week I have been a road trip maniac, traveling from the south end of the South Island by bus all the way to Christchurch, where I will depart on Sunday morning to return to Australia. New Zealand truly is a beautiful country, and I have really enjoyed the road trips. I am sad to be leaving.

Highlights of my week:
* Milford Sound: I finally listened to what everyone said -- "A trip to New Zealand isn't complete without seeing Milford Sound". They were right! I went on a cruise around the Sound in a rain downpour -- and saw more waterfalls than I have EVER seen before! The drive to the Milford Sound was incredible too.

* Mt. Cook: The highest point in New Zealand. Mountain climber mecca -- Edmund Hillary climbed Mt. Cook before conquering Everest. I just did some dayhikes but the glaciers and lakes were breathtaking!

* Akaroa: A volcanic peninsula with an opening to the ocean. Dolphins, seals, and lots of other sea animals hang out here. Unfortunately the weather was too bad to take a cruise, but I thoroughly enjoyed the mountain and ocean scenery and the French Riviera-like towns.

* Hanmer Springs: I'm actually headed there tomorrow on my last day in New Zealand, but it sounds like a highlight already. I'll visit the hot springs and enjoy the mountain scenery of the area.

A funny side note: I've visited the town of Te Anau, the "Walking Capital of the World", six times in the last couple of weeks! It's a town that's right in the middle of everything, so I kept passing through (I spent two nights in hostels here in between hikes).

I'm really looking forward to heading to Tasmania with 5 friends. I've heard so many great things about Tasmania -- plus I'm very excited to see friends again. Wish you could all come too!
Love,
Ray

No comments: